In parts one and two on increasing your potential income, we looked at how diversification is the key to earning more money. Offering more products will improve your ability to make money. Those extra products should be of two types: additional stand-alone products and value-added services that improve your existing products.
What should those products be?
First, look into your background, your life before you became a birth doula, and examine those things that you are good at, any skills you might have, any trainings you've done or certifications you possess. For example: Do you sew? Are you artistic? Have you taken massage workshops? Do you like to scrapbook? Are you a dedicated yoga student or fitness buff? Did you use to sell cosmetics?
Next, look at the things that you have a genuine interest in and aptitude for. Would those things match up well with a business that provides support for childbearing families? For example: Are you curious about massage, aromatherapy, eco-friendly living, life coaching or breastfeeding?
Look within and without yourself for skills and opportunities for learning that will benefit your clients. Go back to previous clients and ask them what other services they would have found helpful during their childbearing year. Examine what services you would enjoy providing to mothers, partners, and children.
Here are some suggestions:
- Childbirth Education – Private, Group, Christian, Sibling, Homebirth, Hypnotherapy
- Photography – Home Birth Photography, Home Birth Videography, Pregnancy Portraits, Breastfeeding Portraits
- Birth Art – Belly Casting, Belly, Bowls, Belly Painting, Henna, Portraits, Name Art, Scrapbooked Birth Stories, Placenta Prints, Jewelry
- Eco-Friendly Products – Natural Personal Products for Mothers, Natural Personal Products for Baby, Cloth Diapers
- Baby Event Coordination – Blessingways, Showers, New Baby Party, New Baby Party for the Adoptive Child, New Baby Announcement Cards/eCards
- Massage and Body Work – Traditional, Aromatherapy, Foot, Back, Reflexology, Accupressure, Reiki
- Diaper Cakes
- Books/eBooks – Childbirth Preparation, Nutrition for Pregnancy, Fitness for Pregnancy, Smoking Cessation, Breastfeeding Basics, Comfort Measures, Newborn Preparation
- Slings – Sales Only, Sales & Manufacture
- Handmade Rice Bags
- Personalized Wearables – Onesies, Hats, Blankets, Booties
- Fitness Classes – Prenatal, Mom and Baby Yoga
- Postpartum Support – New Mama Classes, Postpartum Doula Support
- Placenta Encapsulation
- Herbal Products and Essential Oils – Tinctures, Teas, Sitz Baths, Lip Balms, etc.
Value Added Services:
- Breastfeeding Counseling
- Home Child Safety Consultation
- Financial Preparedness Consultation
- Infant CPR Classes
- Babywearing Consultation
- Classes and Meetups – Birth Circles, Breastfeeding, Newborn Care or Healthy Pregnancy Classes, Cloth Diapering, Babywearing
- Personal Coaching – Health Coaching, Life Coaching, Financial Coaching, Fitness Coaching, Nutrition Coaching
- TENS Machine or Birth Tub Rentals
- EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)
- Coupons, Discounts and Gift Certificates For Partnered Services
- Many of the stand-alone products can also be added to your current packages.
As you can see, there are a lot of products and service offerings that can enhance your doula business. Some require training and certifications and some require skill and aptitude. To sell certain products, you may need to become a distributor or online affiliate. All would increase your ability to create income as well as differentiating you in the marketplace.
As we come to the end of this series on increasing your income potential, I want to draw on your expertise. What are some of the diversified products and added benefits that you offer your clients? Come join in the conversation on the Inspired Birth Pros Facebook group.
Leanne Palmerston is a doula, childbirth educator, and placenta services provider in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. You can get in touch with Leanne at Hamilton Family Doulas.